The Truth About Carbs!
Whenever you hear the word ‘carbs,’ chances are, your outlook is less than favorable. After all, just look at all those high protein/low carb diets.
What runs through your mind every time you see a plate of carbs? Breads, pastas, sugars, and starchy vegetables, right? All of things we’ve been told to stay as far away as possible from.
But surprise! Our bodies actually need carbs.
The problem isn’t carbs, it’s the type of carbs that we are consuming.
“Smart carbs” are carbs that are health-promoting, slow-digesting, and nutrient-rich.
The Smart Carb List
These carbs are high-grade fuel for the elegant and fine machine that is your body.
Smart carbs include:
· Fruits (fresh or frozen)
· Starchy tubers, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, yuca/cassava, taro/tapioca, etc
· Other starchy fruits and vegetables such as plantains or sweet winter squashes (e.g hubbard, butternut, buttercup, kabocha)
· Whole, minimally processed grains, such as quinoa, brown or wild rice, slow-cooking oats, buckwheat, sprouted grains etc
· Beans and legumes
Not So smart: Refined sugary carbs
· Pastries such as cakes, cupcakes and muffins
· Cookies and bars, including those tricky protein and nutrition bars
· Sweets: candies, chocolates etc.
· Sweet drink: fruit juices, soda, and other sweetened drinks (including sports drink)
· Sweetened dried fruits: raisins, dried cranberries, banana chips, dried dates or figs, etc.
……. And pretty much anything that is processed and comes in a bottle, bag or box.
Refined carbs have almost no fibre or beneficial nutrient. Unlike smart carbs they subtract values from our bodies. You don’t feel full, pleasantly satisfied, nor well-nourished when you eat these. You often feel kinda lousy and worse, you often want more, more, more! Leave these foods for special occasions, like your birthday or dessert after fancy restaurant meal.
We don’t believe in “good” or “bad” foods. We believe in just a little bit better, one step at a time.